Status on Select Committee for Developmental Services to Begin Work
Back in spring, Ensemble emailed families and our community partners requesting an email and text campaign in support of a Select Committee on Developmental Services. The original request for help on this initiative came from our provincial partner, OM21, a parent group based in Mississauga, Ontario, who advocates for adults with developmental disabilities. On October 3, 2013, the committee was officially created and a report highlighting the following items will be due no later than May 15, 2014:
- Educational needs of elementary and secondary school children
- Education/workplace needs of youth upon completion of high school
- Opportunities for inclusion in social and recreational venues
- Affordable housing options
- Respite and support requirements of families
- Appropriate delivery of supports by government along with creation of opportunities.
The committee will consist of the following members:
Christine Elliott, Sylvia Jones, and Rod Jackson from the Progressive Conservative Caucus, Laura Albanese (Chair), Bas Balkisson, Mitzie Hunter, and Soo Wong for the Liberal government, and Cheri DiNovo and Monique Taylor representing the NDP Caucus.
Ensemble will be calling upon families input in the near future to ensure that the interests of families are represented. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to partner with OM21 on this initiative and we thank them for their continued advocacy on behalf of people with developmental disabilities.