News Release from Government of Ontario – Ontario Launching Pilot Program to Support Students with Autism in Schools
News release from Ontario, Ministry of Education
Ontario is improving school-based supports for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) by launching a new pilot project for the 2017-18 school year.
The pilot program will:
- Provide dedicated spaces for external practitioners of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) to deliver on-site autism services.
- Provide education assistants with access to voluntary 40-hour online targeted training and professional learning sessions.
- Provide funding to hire an ABA expertise professional with Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA) certification/qualification or equivalent qualification.
The pilot is available in 18 school boards and aims to improve the experience of students with ASD by reducing the number of transitions for students during the school day between home, school and community-based supports and services. Through training and professional expertise, the pilot will also work to improve the capacity of school teams to provide skilled support to students with ASD.
The pilots will be reviewed by an external researcher to monitor and evaluate the success of the project, including the evaluation of the inclusive practices developed by the participating schools. The researcher's findings, along with recommendations from a Provincial Advisory Team, will inform the future direction of in school supports for students with ASD.
Enabling more students to achieve success in school and beyond is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is committing approximately $5 million to the one-year pilot project.
- Schools from English and French public and English and French Catholic schools systems are represented in the pilot and are located across the province.
- More than 20,000 students identified with ASD are currently being supported in Ontario’s publicly funded school system.
- Ontario is making an unprecedented investment to create new services and supports across Ontario for children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families. This includes the creation of the new Ontario Autism Program, which is providing an expanded and more individualized program of supports for children, youth and their families.